Eligibility for Membership
All residents of the City of Barrie or Oro-Medonte may register for a free library card, by showing current identification with name and address at the library. A Borrower Registration Form is available so you can print it, fill it out and bring it in to the library along with your identification and proof that you are a Barrie or Oro-Medonte resident.
To see which types of identification are accepted for registration, please read our membership guidelines.
- A Borrower Registration Form is available so you can print it, fill it out and bring it in to the library along with your identification and proof that you are a Barrie or Oro-Medonte resident.
- All children 12 years of age and under must have a borrower registration form signed by a parent or legal guardian, in order to get a library card. Since parents/guardians are responsible for all material checked out on their child's library card this policy ensures that parents/guardians are aware that their children have a card. When current cards are renewed the child/family will be asked to provide or verify the name of the parent/guardian to ensure our records are current.
- Corporations, businesses or non-profit institutions in Barrie and Oro-Medonte Township may request a corporate card by presenting a letter from the chief officer on company letterhead. This person agrees to accept full responsibility for materials borrowed on this card.
- If you are a member of another library, you may also be eligible for a card through one of our reciprocal membership agreements.
- Non-residents owning property in either of these two locations may also register for membership, by showing their property tax bill along with their current identification.
Non-residents may join for the following fees:
- $75.00 for a one year membership
- $25.00 for a one year student membership (students who do not live or own property in the City of Barrie but attend school in the City of Barrie).
- $10.00 each, for cards for additional family members of non-residents
Visitors and tourists may sign up for a temporary library card while staying in a hotel or cottage in Barrie or Oro-Medonte. These library cards are provided for a period of 3 weeks, with a $20 deposit that is refundable upon return of all borrowed material. To register for a Visitor card, please bring identification with name, address and birthdate, as well as identification of address of lodging or cottage.
Renewing your Membership
All library memberships expire after two years and must be renewed in person. Please visit us at one of our locations with your photo ID and something showing that you are a Barrie or Oro-Medonte resident.
You are responsible for any material borrowed with your membership card. You are also responsible for reporting lost or stolen membership cards to library staff as soon as possible.
There is replacement fee of $2.00 for a lost or damaged library card.
For more information about membership regulations, see our Membership Policy.
Email and Text Notification
We now have the option of email or text notifications as an alternative to telephone notification.
If you would like to receive text notices instead of telephone notices for hold pickups and overdue warnings, please contact library staff. They will need your name, library barcode and cellphone number (local calls only).
If you would like to receive email notices instead of telephone notices for hold pickups, pre-overdue alerts and overdue warnings, please contact library staff. They will need your name, library barcode and complete email address. Email is the only notification type that has the feature of pre-overdue alerts, an alert sent a couple days before the due date of items to remind you to return them on time.
You can contact staff in person, by phone or by email through our Ask a Librarian service.